Welcome to Team BugSplat's Site

We are Team Bugsplat, We take part in the Scumrun rally and run the official Scumrunvideo youtube channel

30 Mar 2011

A few more bits and pieces

So the rally is now only a month away... Having achieved approximately half of what I planned in terms of modifications this year I'm hoping the actual rally doesn't show the same progression path!

One day I will fit the turbo that is sat in my loft, but until then ill just have to compensate with the noise of the ridiculous exhaust system.

However and this leads to my reasoning for this post, it is a little too ridiculous. People ask me "is that road legal" I reply "depends", they reply "on what", I say "whether I start the engine or not"

for that reason I've had to make a slight modification... I got myself a 'decibel killer' insert for the 4" monster.

'Easy to fit' I thought, instructions claimed, all you need to do is drill a 5mm hole in your end pipe and bolt on, job done.  Woohoo I thought, temporary volume control.

so here is a question for you... have you ever tried drilling a 5mm hole in 2mm titanium with an 18v battery drill and some normal drill bits? no of course not, right? because your not an idiot...  Well you see, I am...

I broke a total of 7 drill bits in an hour and made what I think was about 0.05mm indent!

So by that maths it was going to take 280 drill bits and 40 hours to get through. therefore I had to rethink my strategy.

Luckily one of my nice neighbours noticed my failing and flailing and helped, I went to screwfix and bought some proper bits and he got his mains drill, we got through it in 20 mins or so!



The volume is only about 5-10% less but it just takes the edge off the ridiculousness!

The other job is something less painful and stressful, ive got some of the racing grill stuff and fitted it to the brake vents in the veilside bumper. well if i'm going to chav it up, may as well do it proper like...


More updates soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment