Welcome to Team BugSplat's Site

We are Team Bugsplat, We take part in the Scumrun rally and run the official Scumrunvideo youtube channel

13 Oct 2011

Arch rolling and Stance widening - Final Nurburgring Prep

So its now a few days until I hop on a ferry and head down through Belgium, into Germany and make the obligatory trip to the green hell...

On Wednesday Phil from www.archenemy.co.uk came down and rolled all 4 wheel arches and fitted the rear spacers so she's now got her stance sorted. Made this video of it...


Phil did a fantastic job and as you can see it now fills the arches and as a bonus it doesnt rub in the slightest! Thanks Phil!

Right, so also, last time I was at the ring I noticed a lot of people (especially the ones in the open top cars) were wearing helmets.  I'd been talking about getting one for a while but they cost quite a lot and not being either a biker or a full on track day enthusiast I knew bugger all about them.

My neighbour came good on this one... He's into his bikes and on mentioning I was after a 'lid' he emerged with his spare one and said I could have it for a tenner...and even better it fits!


Ok so it's blatently a bike helmet and I'm sure its not going to get me into next years F1 season but will keep me head safer than the current protection of 2mm of canvas roof.

Lastly, at the weekend I swapped over to the quieter exhaust system (Booh I hear) but alas the mental one breaks the NBR volume limits quite substantially. According to my 'Tricorder' app on my phone (yes I'm that nerdy) its well up around 107-108db so not going to risk it.

While swapping it over I made a mildly disturbing discovery...

The bracket holding the two pipes together had been grinding and bottoming out on the road to such an extent that half the bolt and thread had been worn away and welded to each other.

This was alleviated with some subtle lump hammer smashing to get it off.

So the exhaust was fitted with nothing holding the join together other than the pressure of the fitting itself...as you can imagine it rattled like a wasp in a coke can...and not in a good way.

Not having the time or inclination to get another large bracket that would then just bottom out again a different tac was needed...

So I went retro and picked up a fairly meaty Jubilee clip and tightened it round the join and best as possible. This so far has worked, although it is mildly blowing it doesnt rattle any more. and there is no bolt and thread hanging down to decapitate unsuspecting rabbits who duck...

So the only thing I need to worry about now is that the front spacers are causing a mild unbalancing of the front wheels leading to a little vibration above 70mph. But to be honest I can't see myself doing anything about that just yet. Ill live with it...

...and anyway if the wheels come flying off on the Carousel at least I've got my helmet.




No comments:

Post a Comment